Tuesday, 23 March 2010


It must be Spring! We got a batch of chickens a couple days ago from a friend. He said they hadn't started laying yet, but I had hopes we'd be getting some fresh eggs sooner rather than later. We got more roosters than we had hoped, but we don't live at the stable so the neighbours get to live with the cockadoodle-doing. hehe

Anyway, we went down to the stable this morning and we found this:

Isn't it amazing? Our first home grown egg. And it's green-ish. The camera couldn't pick up the colour very well.

I went running from the chicken coop babbling about how the chickens must like us better and cradling the egg so I didn't drop it to show our baby Cookie-butt who is always interested in the goings-on in the stable. As I rounded the first stall I came to a dead stop. There at the end of the alley was a new foal who was born in the early morning from a mare we didn't even think was carrying! So that kinda trumped my one measly egg. But I didn't have the camera with me at the stable this morning so I couldn't get any pics of the new foal. So the green egg will have to do for now. After all the excitement this morning I had one hell of an appetite so I came back and had a breakfast of our first home grown egg. It was delicious.

Friday, 12 March 2010

A Modification for Jill

In the comments today someone said:

"I LOVE this tutorial, great job! I was wondering what the finished size of the bag is? I'm trying to find a tutorial/bag that is at least 14" tall x 18" wide x 4" deep. I'm sure I could alter the measurements to match that, but wanted to get an idea of how much to alter...Thanks!!"

Now before I get into that let me say. Hi All! I have been busy and I miss you all. I'm alive and kicking, just very quiet in the blogland. I'll have to show you all the Hallowe'en costumes I made for last year. They were great especially if you are a Tim Burton fan....some Nightmare Before Christmas characters made special appearances that night!!

Anyway, before I get distracted and start writing a post I didn't intend to let me answer Miss Jill's questions.

The finished bag measurements are 10X14X4. So if you wanted to change the dimensions it wouldn't be too hard. I used 1/2 inch seam allowances because it's just easier to work with and leaves a little extra inside the bag so it'll wear better.

You should come up with something like this for your measurements:

Exterior Material
  • Front & Back 15x19 inches
  • 2 Sides 5x15
  • 1 Bottom 5x19
  • 2 Pockets 5x8** I made the pockets a little taller for you so they wouldn't look too short on the taller bag.
Lining Material
  • Front & Back 15x 19 inches
  • 2 Sides 5 1/2 x15
  • 1 Bottom 5x19
  • 2 Pockets 5x8
  • 2 Divider Pocket 13x19

For the top where the handles meet the bag I would make the interfacing pattern the same way cutting 4 - 22x4 inch pieces and drafting the handle onto the interfacing.

I think drafting the Top Trim at the handles might need to be done backwards since I don't have all the measurements. I would fold the interfacing in half so the piece measures 11X4. On the cut edges (not the fold) measure in 2 inches from the edge and 1 1/2 inches from the top edge and mark. Along the top edge measure in 3 inches and mark. Draw the curve connecting these two marks. Cut the piece out and re-use as a template for the rest of the curves.

From "Now measure over 1 3/4 inches" you should be able to follow the rest of the instructions for drafting the Top Trim. Hopefully those measurements won't put the handles too far apart and the bag won't bow out in the middle.

I hope this helps you out a little. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask and send me along some pics when you get it done!


I'll be back soon I promise, now that some new post ideas are a-brewing. Hey Hallowe'en isn't that far away now!!